- Transport Wheelchairs
A transport wheelchair is a wheelchair that is lightweight, has small wheels, is manually operated and is highly portable. It is made with portability and store-ability in mind. Because of its lightweight, it is also known as a transfer chair. Some transport wheelchairs have small front wheels and larger rear wheels just like standard wheelchairs. Transport wheelchairs are designed so that a caregiver can easily push the user around the home, store or park. At CSA Medical Supply we carry a complete line of Transport Chairs from some of the top brands in the industry such as Drive Medical, Nova Medical, Medline, and many more.
CHOOSING A TRANSPORT WHEELCHAIRThere is a wide range of transport wheelchairs that one you can chose from. They vary in terms of weight capacity, weight they can handle which is called product weight, seat width and materials that they are made of. Some are made of lightweight aluminium or steel. Aluminum is mainly used for the ultra light transport wheelchairs. Some of them come with height adjustable hand grips, are fold-able and have removable foot rests. Whatever your needs are, you will find the perfect transport wheelchair at CSA Medical Supply.
TRANSPORT WHEELCHAIR BUYING GUIDEBefore buying a transport wheelchair, it is important to consider these factors. They may include but not limited to the purpose of buying one and who you’re buying it for. You should also consider the following factors:
- Is the seat size wide enough to accommodate the patient?
- If moving often, is the chair weight manageable to be moved often?
- What is the seat height? Is the height correct for the patient?
- Will the armrests be comfortable enough to support the patient?
- Do you need adjustable handle bars?
- Do you need elevating leg rests or the standard swing away ones?
- How comfortable is the wheelchair in general?
FEATURES AND BENEFITS OF TRANSPORT WHEELCHAIRSSince transport wheelchairs are built for short trips and require a caregiver to push the user who is unable to push themselves, they possess several features and benefits. These include:
- They are easy to store. They can be folded and stored easily.
- Some are ultra-light in weight making them ideal for moving around.
- Some come with free carry bags.
- They offer mobility at a very affordable price.
- They are made of comfortable nylon upholstery.
- They all come with brakes which allow for better control.
- They come in different seat widths, with bariatric transport wheelchairs available for that extra width and comfort.
ARE TRANSPORT WHEELCHAIRS COVERED BY INSURANCE?Yes, nearly all insurance companies including medicare, medicaid, and private insurance cover wheelchairs under durable medical equipment (DME). Depending on your insurance CSA Medical Supply may be able to bill your insurance upon your behalf for your transport wheelchair. The patient mush have a prescription from a doctor in order for there wheelchair to be covered by insurance. If you are on medicare please be aware that CSA Medical Supply will not be able to supply you with a transport wheel chair if you live in a city that currently falls under Medicares Competitive Bid Program.